A seven-step tutorial for people involved in relationship conflicts is available online, free of charge, from the Conflict Resolution Information Source. Intended for educators and instructors, the course was designed by the Division of Continuing Education and Professional Studies at the University of Colorado in Boulder.
Tragically, it is common for relationship conflicts to escalate to the point where there is a real danger of violence. In these circumstances, the first priority is to protect the parties from one another. Only then is it appropriate to work through the Stop Fighting tutorial . . .
The tutorial tells How to Stop Fighting through these seven steps:
- Step #1: Limit the Escalation Spiral (Quit digging the hole deeper.)
- Step #2: Overcoming the Hurt — Replacing Humiliation with Respect
- Step #3: Break Down Misunderstandings — Communicate Well
- Step #4: Fighting Fairly: Developing a System for Handling Disputes
- Step #5: Effective Negotiation
- Step #6: Deal Constructively with Irreconcilable Differences
- Step #7: Keep Your Eye on the Ball: Remember What’s Important